This is one of my favorite “company” dinners. It’s delicious, impressive-ish, and lots easier than it looks!
Italian Sausage Risotto
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 lb Italian sausage (bulk)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⅔ cup Arborio rice
- ⅔ cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated (plus extra to serve)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage, breaking into small chunks as it cooks. Fry over moderate heat until lightly crispy. (I use an 12" stainless steel fry pan.))
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan, add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the rice and toss until well coated in butter.
- Add the red wine and let it bubble and be absorbed for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and stir through.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the Parmesan, salt & pepper to taste and serve with extra grated Parmesan.