Country Style Pate
- 2 pound chicken livers/hearts, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onions have softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and drained chicken livers. Cook and stir until the livers have firmed on the outside but are still pink on the inside, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken livers to a bowl, and pour the wine into the skillet. Simmer until the wine has reduced to ¼ of its original volume, then return the livers to the skillet, and continue cooking until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Scrape the livers into a blender or food processor, and add the capers, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth, then scrape the mixture into a serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours until cold.