This is a great week night soup. It comes together quickly, and it’s even better the next day! Adjust the spice level to suit your tastes. We like it spicy. The heat can be moderated with some avocado or sour cream.
(Ground beef is a regular part of our CSA shares and can also be purchased in our daily grind packages.)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 cup frozen corn (can sub. small can of corn, drained)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 avocado (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot add the olive oil and sauté onions until they begin to soften.
- Add garlic and chopped peppers (bell and jalapeno). Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up as it cooks. Add chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Mix well.
- Add tomato, corn, and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Add beef stock. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve topped with avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips, if desired.